Wrapped Bitcoin is a relatively new concept, but one that can prove vital to bringing liquidity to Defi.
How Do WBTC Tokens Work?
- Imagine you’re already familiar with Bitcoin and keen to start using Defi applications. But there is a problem.
- And there is not much of a cryptocurrency bridge connecting Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- And wrapped BTC helps to solve this problem and deliver some much-needed liquidity to Defi protocols.
- Also, WBTC is the ERC-20 token that’s backed on a 1:1 basis with Bitcoin. (In some ways, they can compare to stablecoins, even if Bitcoin itself isn’t always adamant.)
- When Bitcoin is wrapped, the cryptocurrency is held in reserve by the BitGo Trust. In an aim to be fully transparent.
- And (something that other stablecoins take struggle with,) the amount of WBTC in circulation remains made public — with proof that Bitcoin, the underlying asset, its existence securely held in custody.
- Also, WBTC can wrap (and unwrapped) in wallets such as those provided by CoinList.
What Are the Benefits of Wrapped Tokens?
- In short, they give the owners of digital assets the freedom to explore other blockchains.
- Also, a large chunk of the Defi ecosystem (and DApps) is based on the Ethereum network rather than the Bitcoin blockchain.
- Also, it can immensely frustrate BTC owners, as this means it’s nearly impossible for them and they get involved unless they sell their crypto assets and buy others.
- Later the WBTC network launched in January 2019 many Defi protocols — including MakerDAO, Dharma, and Compound.
- And the Kyber Network — take begun allowing borrowers to use WBTC as collateral.
- Also, it can then lock up into the smart contract, with crypto loans usually paid out using the DAI stable coin on the Ethereum ecosystem.
- And the Wrapp Bitcoin project is overseen by the WBTC DAO. To jog our memory, DAO stands for Decentralized Autonomous Organization.
How Can Developer Data Platforms Help You Scale?
At least 70% of startups fail because of premature scaling or when a company spends too much resources on growth…
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana
Introduction The Indian government launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana (PM-Kisan Yojana) in 2019. However this flagship program aims…